Servings : 5 people
Prep Time : 30 minutes
Cook Time : 30 minutes
Total Time :1H30 minutes
- 175 g butter (soft)
- 110 g icing sugar
- 65 g powdered almonds
- 60 g eggs 2 eggs
- 1 vanilla pod ( If you don’t have it, you can use lime zests instead)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 310 g (2 1/2) cups flour
Lime & Verbena Curd
- 180 g lime juice (6-10 limes)
- Lime Zests (5 limes)
- 160 g (3/4 cup) sugar
- 20 g dried or fresh verbena
- 3 eggs
- 210 g butter cut into cubes
- 1 gelatine leaf optional - the curd will hold better.
Italian Meringue :
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 120 gr granulated sugar
- 50 gr water
For the Dough:
- Combine the butter, icing sugar and almonds in the mixer or do it using a whisk. Add the eggs, egg yolk, vanilla pod and salt and mix until well mixed. Add the flour in one go and then mix as little as possible, only enough to be able to shape the dough into a ball.Refrigerate overnight (or at least 1h30).
- Roll out the dough so that it's 3mm thick, place in the pie tin and refrigerate again for 1-1h30. This will prevent the dough from shrinking when baking. Blind bake for 20 minutes at 180°C and the let cool on a rack.
For the lime verbena curd:
- Cook all the remaining ingredients (except the butter and the gelatine if you decide to use it) on a low heat. Keep an eye on the exact temperature - the mix should never exceed 85°C (185F) or the eggs might cook and you’ll end up with scramble eggs.
- When the mix starts to thicken, get ready to remove the pan from the heat. How do you know when it's ready? Use the whisk to create a whirl - if the whirl continues to spin for a bit before stopping, you will need to keep it on the heat for a bit longer. If on the other hand it stops immediately, it's ready - you can stop cooking and remove from the heat.
- If you want to add gelatine to the mix, do so now.
- Strain the lime curd to remove the zests and the verbena leaves.
- Pour the lime curd into a bowl and let it cool until it reaches about 40-45°C (105-115F). This should take about 5 minutes.
- Using a hand-held blender, start mixing the curd at a low speed, then start dropping in the butter and continue to mix until smooth.
For The Italian Meringue
- Mix the water and sugar together in a pot over medium heat.
- In the meantime, whip the egg whites until firm
- When the syrup reach 244F, pour it slowly on the whipped eggwhites and whip constantly until the mix has cooled down completely
- Use It immediately
Assemble the pie:
- Pour the lime curd into the baked pastry and smooth out the mix with a spatula.
- Using a piping bag, make tears/kisses of meringue on your pie.Grate some lime zest over the Italian meringue and add some lime segments. Refrigerate for at least 3h if you used the gelatine and 5h if you did not.
- Enjoy !
Chef Robert C.